September 12, 2009
Home-made English Muffins
|Made english muffins yesterday, adapted from a recipe for tall english muffins with the help of instant yeast, baking soda, and whipped egg whites.
Three modifications were made to the original recipe: soymilk was added for flavor enhancement, all-purpose flour was used in place of bread flour, and cornmeal was left out. The dough was soft and sticky, and when cooked on the griddle, smelled fantastic.
The resultant english muffin was much denser than I'd like, and there were fewer 'nooks and crannies' than a store-bought muffin, nor was it as sweet or flaky. Perhaps in the future, I'll leave out the egg whites and add a few teaspoons of sugar and a pat of butter.
Ingredients- 8 muffins
* 1/4 cup water, 110F
* 1 cup vanilla soymilk, 110F
* 3 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
* 2 egg whites
* 2 teaspoons olive oil
1) In a large bowl, pour water and soymilk.
2) Mix in instant yeast, baking soda, 2 cups of flour.
3) Allow to sit for 5 minutes.
4) In separate bowl, add egg whites.
5) Whip egg whites with electric mixer until stiff peaks.
6) With rubber spatula, fold in egg whites to dough batter.
7) Add 1/4 cup of flour. Mix.
8) Add salt. Mix.
9) Add in remaining flour, 1/4 cup at a time. Mix.
10) Flour flat surface. Place dough onto flat surface.
11) Knead dough 5-6 minutes until dough is smooth.
12) In separate bowl, add olive oil. Place dough in bowl.
13) Turn dough until all sides are coated with oil.
14) Place bowl in warm area for 1 hour.
15) Put dough on floured flat surface. Roll dough to 1/2'' thick.
16) Rest dough for 5 minutes.
17) Evenly divide dough into 8 mounds.
18) With cookie sheet, line with plastic wrap and flour surface.
19) Roll each mound into a ball. Place onto cookie sheet.
20) Cover with plastic. Rest for 45 minutes.
21) Preheat frying pan/skillet over medium heat.
22) Flour the tops of each ball of dough.
23) With ball of dough in hands, flatten until 1/2" thick.
24) Place dough onto frying pan/skillet.
25) Fry for 3 minutes. Flip.
26) Fry second side for 3 minutes. Flip.
27) Fry first side for 3 minutes. Flip.
28) Fry second side for 3 minutes. Total cook time: 12 minutes.
29) Remove from pan.